Job: Sterile Processing Tech
Job Status: Part Time, Contract/TemporaryShare this page
Together, we create unsurpassed health care experiences.
We are the leader in delivering integrated, innovative health care.
At Cone Health, we value and are accountable for:
· Caring for Our Patients
We provide exceptional quality, compassionate care and service in a safe, respectful environment.
· Caring for Each Other
We appreciate each other through honest communication and respect. We inspire ongoing learning, pride, passion and fun.
· Caring for Our Communities
We engage our communities with integrity and transparency. We embrace our responsibility to promote health and well-being.
Previous sterile processing or Surgical Technology experience.
Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Close attention to detail
Good troubleshooting skills
Good communication skills
•Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time), and/or;
•10 to 25 pounds of force frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and/or
•greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly (2/3 or more of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Requires ability to push equipment and loaded supply carts weighing up to 125 lbs.
Ability to reach shelf heights from 6' to 6'6".
Ability to stand and/or walk the majority of shift.
Ability to bend and/or stoop frequently.
Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds for short distances.
Ability to communicate verbally and via telephone or other electronic devices.
HEARING / VISION:
• Hear and differentiate low volume sounds in order to make judgments regarding actions needed
• Hear alarm bells, verbal conversations, telephone voices and normal volume sounds
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
• Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
• Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish color)
Processes instruments and other equipment for Operative Services and other Clinical departments. Processing includes decontamination, assembly, sterilization and storage.
MAJOR WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Decontaminates, reassembles and sterilizes instrumentation according to policy and procedure and universal precautions. Assembles instruments in accordance to sterilization requirements. Inspects instruments for any defective/broken or missing components and replaces as needed. Disinfects case carts and returns to staging area. Assembles, wraps and sterilizes instrument sets and trays following inventory list maintaining accuracy and quality control.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of how to operate instrument and cart washers as well as sonic cleaners and sterilizers. Understands mechanical functions and safety features of equipment. Monitors cycles for proper functions and tests parameters of time and temperature; reporting findings appropriately. Performs chemical, biological and mechanical tests as required and understands functions of each and appropriately documents results. Reports malfunction(s) to Processing Supervisor, Assistant Director or Director. Troubleshoots and corrects minor equipment problems.
3. Responds to special requests for needed instruments/sets and sterile supplies. Provides instrument/set, supplies or equipment as requested. Helps locate misplaced instrument/set. Decontaminates and processes needed instrument/set. Review Operating Room schedule for consignment and loaner.
4. Demonstrate values that exhibit Cone Health values. Work practices exhibit ethics and integrity. Advocates for patient care. Follows policies and procedures of the department. Manages resources efficiently and works with team members to reduce costs and improve quality.
Occurs over two-thirds of the time:
• Exposure to blood-borne pathogens
• Hazardous waste and/or toxic/caustic chemicals
• Fumes or airborne particles
iCARE - COMMITMENTS TO CARE:
I will create and engage in conversations of possibility.
o I will be open to innovation and creativity.
o I will listen to understand.
o I will bring ideas for solutions and be open to alternative ideas.
o I will be open to constructive feedback.
o I will not engage or listen to negativity or gossip.
o I will be positive when speaking about Cone Health, my department, and my coworkers.
o I will be approachable.
o I will focus on behaviors, not the person, during conflict.
I will honor my word.
o I will do what I say when I say I will. o I will “clean it up” when I can’t keep my word.
o I will honor my work agreement.
o I will be “on the court” instead of “in the stands.”
o I will follow up in a timely manner on commitments and requests.
o I will apologize when someone experiences less than excellent service. o I will take responsibility for my actions, decisions and performance.
o I will protect patient safety (best practices: ex – hand hygiene).
I will assume the best of intentions and embrace differences.
o I will collaborate and seek other people’s input.
o I will demonstrate courtesy, compassion, and respect with my tone of voice and body language.
o I will speak positively about Cone Health – managing up coworkers, physicians, departments, patients and visitors.
o I will ask the person directly involved when I don’t know.
o I will include diverse skills, abilities, strengths, and backgrounds to create better outcomes.
o I will care for myself while also respecting others.
I will own it, solve it, and celebrate it!
o I will offer solutions when problems are identified.
o I will share my input for decisions by participating in forums such as shared governance, town halls, employee engagement survey, brown bag discussions, employee councils, staff meetings, or directly with my manager.
o I will take charge and do the right thing at the right time.
o I will make decisions keeping a balance of service, quality, and cost in mind.
o I will demonstrate Cone Health values.
o I will seek opportunities to celebrate and have fun.
o I will recognize good work.
I have seen and reviewed the job description in its completed form and understand that I will be required to perform all functions listed if hired for this position. I recognize that, if hired, it is my responsibility to notify my manager as soon as possible if I am unable to perform any of the functions of my position for any reason. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Exceptional People Providing Exceptional Care!
Cone Health is a state of the art network of facilities providing patients access to the latest developments in medical care from their first moments of life through later years. Our network offers the most breakthrough treatments and technology available in healthcare today. As a teaching hospital, we offer employees the opportunity to become leaders in the industry and continued growth from their first day on.
Extraordinary patient care is about being "high-touch" as well as "high-tech". Community service and superior patient care are the cornerstones of our organization, a philosophy that is demonstrated by each and every one of our valued team members. We are proud to be the largest private, not-for-profit employer of choice in the Piedmont, NC area community!
Cone Health is an equal opportunity employer. If you require assistance with our online job submission process, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at 866-266-3767 to request an accommodation. Additionally, Cone Health invites interested deaf and hard of hearing applicants to use Video Relay Service (VRS).