Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Entry-Level Geotechnical Engineer
at Geosyntec Consultants
Looking for a place to start your career, where you can work with industry recognized professionals who are solving tough civil / geotechnical and environmental problems? As an entry-level geotechnical engineer in our Charlotte, NC office, in our geotechnical & geoenvironmental engineering practice, you will apply your academic training to practical, real-world situations and develop business skills to support a successful consulting career. You will collaborate with a highly technical team on projects involving site characterization; landfill design and construction; earth retaining structures; deep foundations; soft/weak foundations; dams and containment structures; forensic investigations and litigation support; geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring; and numerical analyses.
Geosyntec pursues and works on challenging problems that involve environment, natural resources, and civil infrastructure challenges. Ranked by ENR as #54 among the Top 500 Design Firms, and with multiple Top 20 ENR rankings in specialty areas, Geosyntec is internationally known for its technical leadership, broad experience, and client service. Learn more by visiting www.geosyntec.com.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
You will perform assignments under the supervision of experienced professional engineers who practice civil, geotechnical, and environmental engineering to support our utility, solid waste, and federal client sectors. Work assignments will be assigned to help develop knowledge, skills, and abilities in both technical disciplines and professional consulting services and business. Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Geotechnical field investigation work plan development, planning, and oversight;
- Engineering calculation, report, and permit application support;
- Civil site design and construction support;
- Seismic hazard and liquefaction assessment;
- Landfill design and permitting support;
- Dam and levee evaluations;
- Design, bid, and construction document preparation; and
- Proposal support and business development activities.
You should expect to work closely with experienced professionals who will guide and integrate you into Geosyntec’s culture. The entry-level geotechnical engineer position requires or offers the following:
- Training and career development: This position requires OSHA health and safety, first aid, and CPR training and medical monitoring, paid for by the firm. We also offer professional development opportunities that include in-house seminars, conference attendance, webinars, and mentor relationships that allow our entry level professionals to build the technical and business skills necessary to become industry leaders.
- Fieldwork: You will have opportunities to apply the techniques and skills you learned during your academic career in the field. Fieldwork is a vital part of career development for a consulting engineer. At Geosyntec, your fieldwork opportunities may include site inspections, construction oversight, geotechnical subsurface investigation, installation of instrumentation, and/or groundwater/surface water/soil sampling. You can expect, on average, between 10 and 25% fieldwork dependent on current projects.
- Overnight travel: Geosyntec’s clients have project sites across the United States and around the world. We provide opportunities to our entry-level consultants to travel to project sites to allow you to experience a range of project types and settings. You can expect between 10 and 50% overnight travel dependent on current projects.
Your career success is our success. We encourage our professionals to continually develop their interests and technical skills. Advancement within the firm is based on an individual’s own performance and initiative.
- BS degree in civil engineering. (required)
Advanced degree in civil or geotechnical engineering. (preferred)
- Prior internship or work experience in engineering consulting. (preferred)
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification or ability to obtain within 6 months. (required)
- On path to obtain Professional Engineer (P.E.) licensure in North Carolina within 4 years. (required)
- Knowledge with geotechnical and engineering software such as AutoCAD, SLIDE, FLAC, PLAXIS. (preferred)
- Basic understanding of geosynthetic material types, installation, design, and other applications. (preferred)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced consulting environment and manage time efficiently to meet deadlines for multiple projects concurrently. (required)
- Ability to travel to client facilities. (required)
- Valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. (required)
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE SUCCESSFUL AT GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec strives to hire and retain the best and brightest people in their fields. We look for professionals with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, plus the passion for technical excellence and quality. We seek individuals with leadership potential, a commitment to lifelong learning and growth, and the desire to build a long and rewarding career with a growing Firm.
WHY CHOOSE GEOSYNTEC?
Geosyntec is a great place to build a career that provides an exciting workplace, a place with challenging and rewarding projects, and a place that has been nationally recognized for its employees' quality of life, technical expertise, and business success. You can learn more about careers and employment at Geosyntec by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/
We are proud to offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package. Learn more by visiting http://www.geosyntec.com/careers/employee-benefits.
REQ NO: ENTRY01982