New Hanover County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at New Hanover County
- Essential Duties
- New Hanover County prides itself on being an organization committed to serving the public. One of the initiatives outlined on our strategic map is a focus on superior workforce and education. We believe that the partnering between citizens and their local government contributes to the building of a stronger community. As such, we are excited to partner with educational institutions and offer student internship opportunities with county departments. These unpaid internships are a great way to apply techniques learned in the classroom and gain valuable workforce experience; all while serving the community and the citizens within it. With over 25 departments providing a diverse array of services, New Hanover County offers a unique variety of internship opportunities across a number of fields of study.
New Hanover County has identified five shared values as the fundamental principles that guide how members of the organization conduct themselves while carrying out our mission in pursuit of the vision. Together, these values provide an ethical framework for decision making and action. Our intern selection is no different and we carefully seek interns who embody these values and share our passion for serving the public.
Many of our departments accept interns year round and are flexible to accommodate the schedules of busy students. The duration of an internship is typically one semester but extended internships can be arranged according to the department's availability. While every internship opportunity is unique, below is a list of typical duties many interns will experience throughout the course of their internship:
- Applying research techniques and analytical methods to the study of administrative systems, organizational structures, policies and procedures;
- Conducting special studies in conjunction with a project, analyzing data and making recommendations based upon studies;
- Providing information and assistance to the general public and other governmental agencies;
- Preparing project reports, progress summaries, statistical analysis, and related data;
- Analyzing, generating and maintaining records and other reference material necessary for departmental use;
- Answering and making phone calls, responding to program related questions and sending written material as appropriate;
- Composing, typing and printing reports, letters, spreadsheets, e-mails, and memoranda from rough drafts or general instructions, involving the assembly of data from computer and paper file or record sources;
- Using the County's computer network and standard and proprietary software, preparing reports analyzing specific aspects of department structures, functions and/or operational procedures.
- Minimum Qualifications
New Hanover County internship candidates must be currently enrolled in a college, university, educational institution or vocational school or program and demonstrate a commitment to public service and our shared values.
- Other Information
All NHC internships are unpaid.