Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Construction Technician-Eastern NC
- Job ID
- # of Openings
For 26 years, CALYX has developed a reputation for providing quality services in the areas of site and civil engineering, building structure design, land surveying, roadway and structure design, subsurface utility engineering, construction engineering inspection, transportation planning, traffic services, water resources, cultural resources, and environmental services. CALYX is an Engineering News Record Top 500 Design Firm (national and Southeast) and ranked #26 in the Zweig Group's "Hot" 100 Firms (U.S. and Canada). We are your proven partner, ready to assist you with your most ambitious plans.
CALYX IS NOW AN NV5 COMPANY
NV5 Global, Inc. (NASDAQ: NVEE) is a provider of professional and technical engineering and consulting solutions to public and private sector clients in the infrastructure, energy, construction, real estate and environmental markets. With a 70-year history and 2,200 employees, NV5 operates out of more than 100 locations nationwide and abroad in Macau, Hong Kong, and the UAE. NV5 is an Engineering News Record Top 500 Design Firm and Zweig Group’s #1 Hot Firm. For additional information, please visit the Company’s website at www.NV5.com.
CALYX Engineers and Consultants, an NV5 company, is seeking a construction technician in eastern North Carolina. The construction technician will be responsible for performing field inspections, testing, material sampling, recording measurements, and monitoring compliance of contractors' operation for bridge and highway construction projects. The most frequent and essential work activities include:
- Conduct independent complex inspections of roadway and bridge construction processes and materials to assure compliance with contract plans, standards, and specifications.
- Provide assessment of contractor’s quality control procedures by applying quality assurance inspection and testing at designated and established frequencies.
- Independently test and monitor complex or controversial roadway and construction work, resolve materials and methods compliance problems with contractors, and oversee or perform the inspection of major or complex structure construction projects.
- Complete a variety of complex calculations and check drawings, calculations, and plans.
- Train and instruct other inspectors and review their work for accuracy and completeness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required, Associates degree in civil engineering technology or similar focus preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of construction experience required
- General knowledge of surveying methods, equipment and material used in highway construction
- Working knowledge of mathematics including algebra, geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, contract provisions, and inspection procedures
- Basic computer skills including use of email, internet, Microsoft office programs and use of iPad
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Inspection experience on NCDOT projects preferred
- NCDOT material testing and sampling certifications preferred
- NCDOT Concrete
- NCDOT QMS Roadway
- NCDOT Conventional Density
- NCDOT ABC Sampling
- NCDOT Borrow Pit Sampling
- NCDOT Erosion & Sediment Control
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license prior to employment
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. When properly requested and when feasible (without undue hardship to the organization), reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- This position will be subject to outside environmental conditions, including weather conditions such as wet and /or humid environments, extreme cold and/or heat, dusty and noisy work environments.
- Work will primarily be in the field involving long term standing and frequent walking as well as include common hazards at construction and project sites.
- Must be able to carry, lift and push/pull up to 50 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to walk over rough and uneven terrain and be able to stand up to 10-12 hours a day on occasion.
- Must have the ability to see, smell, hear, talk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and twist, crouch, crawl, reach, grasp, sit, stand, and walk.
- Weekend and overtime work and/or overnight work and travel may be required.
- Additional physical duties may be required as necessary.
CALYX / NV5 offers a complete and competitive benefit package.
CALYX Engineers and Consultants, an NV5 company, provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.