Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Finishing Machinist
at Proto Labs
Responsible for drawing on their knowledge of complex precision machining to create multi-axis CNC programs for the fabrication and finishing of small precision metal parts for various industries. The Senior Finishing Machinist will program and operate the equipment in our machining department which includes, mills, lathes, wire EDM, and various other equipment. Other duties will include specifying and purchasing equipment, designing shop layout, arranging build-out and setup, designing rapid-turn workflows, and quoting and executing custom precision machining jobs.
Specific Duties Include:
- Create custom CNC programs and tool pathing from customer supplied CAD files
- Design custom tooling and fixtures for CNC & EDM operations
- Plan, estimate, and quote machining jobs by reviewing electronic drawings, materials, customer specifications, and geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T)
- Plan and manage stock inventory and place and expedite orders as needed
- Set up and operate mills, lathes, wire EDM and other machining equipment to finish custom prototyping and production jobs
- Machine small parts consistent with medical device, consumer electronics, and aerospace industry requirements, machining will be performed on 3D printed metal or otherwise near-net shape parts
- Maintain specifications by observing good machining practices and adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
- Clean and maintain equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions, calling for repairs
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs
- Document actions by completing production and quality logs
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications
- Accomplish organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Current ability to program and run CNC equipment
- Experience with 3D CAD software
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proficient in basic mathematics
- Able to use a computer and calculator.
- Able to read and write in English
- Able to work in fast-paced, team oriented environment
- Must be punctual and have good attendance
- Associates degree in Design, CAD drafting, Engineering Technology, or equivalent
- Trade school certificate in CNC programming or equivalent experience.
- Experience with 3D CAD and tool pathing software (Solidworks, MasterCAM, etc.)
- Experience with Haas machine tools, high speed machining, soft and hard metal machining
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology a plus
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is expected to sit and stand for the entire shift, lift up to 50 pounds waist high, carry up to 50 pounds alone. Essential job duties require reaching, bending, and grasping. Able to read machine-shop gages and indicators.
All Proto Labs facilities in the United States are ITAR-compliant operations. Due to ITAR regulations, Proto Labs is only able to employ U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or foreign nationals granted refugee or asylee status. Individuals with temporary visas (e.g. E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, TN or OPT) are not eligible for hire.
Proto Labs, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer