Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Database (DBMS, MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, AWS)
at Samaritan's Purse
Samaritan's Purse (SP) is a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. For over 40 years, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
We have an incredible opportunity for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer SRE (Database) to join our internal Cloud Infrastructure Team! This role is very different from a traditional Database Administrator role. As part of our cloud initiative, we have been tasked with implementing highly-available relational and schema-less databases and queuing technologies, with a requirement for open-source. This would include platforms such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis and/or Memcache. In addition, there will be some amount of work engineering HA into proprietary DBMS's like Microsoft SQL Server. Designing and implementing procedures around backup and disaster recovery and automating deployment of database systems and database maintenance tasks will also be a significant requirement of this position. Currently this Cloud build and Implementation, stands at the forefront of progress in the non-profit Christian IT arena making this a great opportunity for any SRE Database Engineer. If selected, you will be a part of a small, diverse, incredibly driven Cloud team, and will be given a great sphere of influence having to make mission critical decisions that will impact the entire Cloud project. If you are searching more than just a job, but a Career with lasting impact, come see how we accomplish that!
* Preferably 3+ years of Database Engineering/Architecture experience utilizing commercial or Open Source relational and schema-less Databases and queuing DBMS to include: MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, RethinkDB, CouchDB, and Redis.
* Experience working in a Red Hat Linux/RHEV/Unix/ or CentOS Data Center environment.
* Architect, plan, and implement innovative Database solutions alongside Storage Engineers, to meet the challenges presented in a Complex Cloud implementation.
* Experience utilizing Python, Bash, SQL, or related scripting languages to automate Database maintenance.
* Experience with Memcache, or similiar tools as a memory object caching system.
* Experience completing large and small scale Data migrations into Open-Source or Commercial Cloud platforms. (AWS, AWS S3, OpenStack, etc.)
* Engineering and clustering data into proprietary DBMS's like Microsoft SQL Server to achieve High-Availability.
* Knowledge or exposure to data clustering between MongoDB, RethinkDB, CouchDB, or other Non-relational databases.
* Preferred experience utilizing Amazon S3 or similar tools for Object storage and Data retrieving.
* Performing Log analysis with tools such as Logstach or similar tool for collecting, parsing, and storing logs.
* Ensuring High Availability of various Databases for the Cloud infrastructure teams.
* Designing and implementing procedures around backup and disaster recovery and automating deployment of database systems and database maintenance tasks.
* Preferred experience utilizing Kibana for data analytics and virtualization.
* Preferred experience with JSON objects used in schemaless Databases
* Preferred experience working on multi-site Databases ensuring that processes and automation remain consistent in all locations.
* DB and application uptime including related or dependent systems.
* Preferred exposure or working experience with workflow automation tools including Jenkins, Git, and Ansible.
* Ensuring high availability of various Databases for the Cloud infrastructure teams.
* Completing capacity planning, and creating innovative Scalable Data solutions for a rapidly expanding Database.
* Monitoring various Open Source and Commercial Databases, coordinate maintenance, and reduce any outages.
* Troubleshooting complex Database performance, stability, and structural issues, then escalating issues when necessary.
* Faithfully upholds the ministry in prayer.
* Maintains a personal, active relationship with Jesus Christ and is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ.
* Consistently participates in daily staff devotions.
* Demonstrate behavior aligned with SP’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Hallmarks, policies, and expectations.
* Effectively represents Jesus Christ to those within both personal and professional spheres of influence.
* Design and Implement Continuous Integration workflows for Infrastructure.
* Maintain a strong Christian witness to colleagues, vendors, charitable beneficiaries, and the general public.
* Helpful Certifications: OCP, OCM, MongoDB Certified Developer.
* Provide cost analysis of implementing new Database tools.
* Create and maintains relationships with Database product Vendors.
What We Offer:
* Career with Purpose!
* Competitive Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision insurance
* Ten (10) paid holidays
* Ten (10) or more days of vacation depending on years of service
* Ten (10) sick/personal days
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
* Long term and short term disability insurance
* Term Life insurance
* 401(k) retirement savings plan
* Staff discounts at retail stores and service providers in the Boone area and nationwide
Samaritan’s Purse Distinct Objectives:
PROCLAIM THE GOSPEL - EXALT Christ and share the Gospel while working in His Name around the world
SERVE WITH EXCELLENCE - EXCEED the world’s standard while serving the purposes of God’s kingdom
RESPOND WITH COMPASSIONATE ACTION - EXPEDITE our response to needs as the Lord reveals opportunities to minister
DEMONSTRATE BIBLICAL INTEGRITY - EXHIBIT character and integrity personally, at home and work
WALK IN BOLD FAITH - EXPECT God to do the impossible
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Samaritan's Purse Statement of Faith:
* We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God. (1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:15-17)
* We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 10:30; Ephesians 4:4-6)
* We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood on the cross, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory. (Matthew 1:23; John 1:1-4 and 1:29; Acts 1:11 and 2:22-24; Romans 8:34; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Philippians 2:5-11; Hebrews 1:1-4 and 4:15)
* We believe that all men everywhere are lost and face the judgment of God, that Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation, and that for the salvation of lost and sinful man, repentance of sin and faith in Jesus Christ results in regeneration by the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:46-47; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23; 2 Corinthians 5:10-11; Ephesians 1:7 and 2:8-9; Titus 3:4-7)
* We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, whose indwelling enables the Christian to live a godly life. (John 3:5-8; Acts 1:8 and 4:31; Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 2:14; Galatians 5:16-18; Ephesians 6:12; Colossians 2:6-10)
* We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; the saved unto the resurrection of eternal life and the lost unto the resurrection of damnation and eternal punishment. (1 Corinthians 15:51-57; Revelation 20:11-15)
* We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that all true believers are members of His body, the church. (1 Corinthians 12:12, 27; Ephesians 1:22-23)
* We believe that the ministry of evangelism and discipleship is a responsibility of all followers of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, that God created man and woman as unique biological persons made to complete each other. God instituted monogamous marriage between male and female as the foundation of the family and the basic structure of human society. For this reason, we believe that marriage is exclusively the union of one genetic male and one genetic female. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5-6; Mark 10:6-9; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9)
* We believe that we must dedicate ourselves to prayer, to the service of our Lord, to His authority over our lives, and to the ministry of evangelism. (Matthew 9:35-38; 22:37-39, and 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15 and 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10; Colossians 2:6-10; 1 Peter 3:15)
* We believe that human life is sacred from conception to its natural end; and that we must have concern for the physical and spiritual needs of our fellowmen. (Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:5; Matthew 22:37-39; Romans 12:20-21; Galatians 6:10)