Town of Cary, NC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Seasonal Program Assistant I; Space ID and EDventure Camp Assistant Director
at Town of Cary, NC
- This position reports to the Seasonal Space ID (Innovation & Design) AND EDVenture Camp Director. Acts as supervisor when Director is not present during camp hours.The incumbent is responsible for assisting the director in supervising the campers, staff, daily activities, field trip, serves as a frontline staff person for space camp and is responsible for assisting in overseeing the day to day operations of the camp.
Candidates must be available to work 40 hours per week Monday-Friday in the months of June and July, and occasional pre-planning hours beginning in May.
2019 Space Camp Sessions: June 17 - 21, June 24 - 28. July 8 - 12, 15 - 19, 22 - 26, and July 29 - August 2.Works with other administrative staff and Director to provide Staff OrientationWrites end of summer staff evaluations.The incumbent reports to and works closely with the Assistant Supervisor for the Middle Creek Community Center to ensure the Camp programs continue to maintain their high level of service for informal science, technology, engineering and space education and childcare.
PLEASE NOTE: SPACE ID (Innovation & Design) and EDVenture Camps are not associated with the Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission or its SPACE CAMP program
- Typical Tasks
- Responsibilities include participant first day registration, daily enrollment check, maintain and complete appropriate paperwork for camp participants including: sign in/sign out sheets, camper information packets, and accident reports. Additional responsibilities include recording, monitoring and distributing participant medication.Assist director in planning, developing, and implementing camper activities. Incumbent will be responsible for researching new ideas for educational activities and experiments in the areas of space, science, technology, and engineering, creating the curriculum utilizing current activities and incorporating new ones, training camp staff in these areas and ensuring the implementation of the curriculum.Assist in supervising of Space Innovation & Design EDVenture Camp participants;
Incumbent will monitor and address any disciplinary incidents that may arise and contact parents when necessary;
Carries out behavior management procedures and handles emergencies with campers;
Ability to exercise judgment in controlling the activities, behavior, and safety of camp attendees;
Communicates with parents when necessary involving discipline issues, concerns and questions of either party, emergencies, inclusion support, etc.;
Performs other job-related tasks as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Skilled in both verbal and written communication. Ability to lead and motivate staff to provide the highest level of service to patrons. Knowledge of educational programs and curricula appropriate to teach children about space and related scientific areas. Ability to interact with both children and parents in a tactful and knowledgeable fashion. Knowledge of Town of Cary policies and ability to communicate those policies to patrons and staff.
- Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Requires college level coursework in the areas of science, technology, engineering or space;Experience in supervising children ages 6-16 required. Prefer applicants with some classroom experience, either as lead teacher or assistant and/or experience in a day or overnight camp.
Required availability is 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. during the months of June, July, and the first week of August. Occasional pre-planning hours will be required during May.
Prefers some experience in developing and implementing curriculum;
Prefers some experience in supervising and training others, including staff and/or volunteers;
Requires drug testing and background check (which may include criminal check, education verification and credit history review) prior to employment.